Notion Utopia - A Notion Marketplace Like No Other
by The Notion Guy on Dec 22, 2021
There's no doubt that the world is your oyster when it comes to looking for an online marketplace to advertise your Notion templates and dashboard as a seller. There’s a never-ending supply of popular, fast-growing online platforms to connect creators and clientele.
When it comes to marketplaces created solely for Notion sellers, you’re left with less than a handful of options.
We've broken down details about the different online marketplaces for you to get a better idea of what they have to offer, and how the Notion Utopia marketplace stands out from the crowd.
Without further adieu, let's jump right in.
What is an online marketplace?
An online marketplace sometimes referred to as an electronic marketplace, is a website or app designed to connect sellers with potential buyers.
The website or app operator handles all the transactions on behalf of various sellers who’ve listed their physical and digital goods or services. They present the seller’s inventory in their marketplace for customers to easily access and purchase.
Where can Notion creators sell their products?
Many online marketplaces allow sellers to sell digital goods or offer services, as either part of a large directory of products or by giving the seller their own storefronts, such as Etsy and Gumroad.
Notion creators who offer templates, graphics, operating systems, or even tools built within Notion can sell their creations via a variety of online marketplaces or promotional platforms.
Currently, there are only two independent, Notion exclusive marketplaces, namely Prototion and Notion Utopia. Notionery and Notion Everything is also available for creators to promote their Gumroad products.
Why don't we take a look at some of the different platforms and marketplaces, how they work, some of their features, and how they differ from Notion Utopia.
As we’ve mentioned, Prototion is an online marketplace where creators can add their products and buyers can easily shop products from different creators.
- Shopping Cart - Having a cart feature makes the shopping experience easier for buyers. Just like any shop, they can browse products, compare and fill their basket then pay for everything once they’re ready.
- Detailed Product Pages - Their product pages include some stats like the number of views and downloads, as well as a star rating and the option to share to socials. Buyers can use product descriptions and stats to help them choose which product would suit them best.
- Blogs - Having a blog is great for SEO and gives marketplace visitors even more reason to make this a regularly used site. They can subscribe to newsletters and follow social accounts where they’ll also see creator products being promoted.
- Payment Providers - In Prototion, customers can pay for their goods using trusted payments providers. They currently offer Stripe and also accept debit or credit card payments.
Although Prototion adds their creator names with the products as clickable links, it unfortunately only directs to a 404 error page. Without any social links to the creators' accounts added on the product page, buyers can’t connect directly with the creators they love.
Both the site and the product pages are lacking FAQs for buyers and sellers. FAQs are set in place to help guide site visitors. The more thorough the FAQs, the better an experience for those visiting the marketplace.
Notionery is one of the promotional platforms we mentioned, where creators take the Notion products they’ve listed on Gumroad and display them in the Notionery shop. Buyers can browse through the selection of templates but ultimately the sale is on Gumroad by means of an affiliate link.
- Creator product submissions - Creators are guided as they submit their Notion templates and workspaces to have them added to the Notionery collection. Additionally, they offer a promotional package for an added affiliate fee to highlight a creator’s products.
- Home Page Feature sections - Notionery’s homepage is segmented into Top This Week, Top All Time, Best sellers and Featured Templates. These types of sectioning can help buyers find top products quickly, which means a higher potential for sales.
- Product Filtering - Giving buyers the flexibility to filter through products improves their buying experience and reduces the chances that they’ll leave the site without buying anything.
Unfortunately, because Notionery is a promotional platform, buyers can’t actually have a shopping experience. When a buyer wants to make a purchase, they are redirected or given a pop up from Gumroad. Lacking a cart feature means buyers looking for a few different templates at once can’t add them all together and pay for them as a single transaction. Doing multiple payments not only inconveniences buyers but can be more costly as well.
Notionery also doesn’t give visitors much insight into who they are. They lack an about page, FAQs and a blog. Site visitors don’t gain any additional insights or value and have no reason to frequently return. They send out a weekly newsletter that features different templates like mentioned in their Promotional Package.
Trust badges are a great way to help buyers feel more at ease and ensured when buying products online. Customer reviews and payment provider badges are ways sites like Gumroad and Etsy build trust with buyers. Notionery has added an option to upvote products but these are actually misleading. Anyone who lands on the site can upvote products, rather than getting a metric from existing customers only.
Notion Everything is also a promotional platform like Notionery, working on affiliate commissions by adding products to their site and sending buyers to Gumroad. They do have some additional resources and features to give visitors a better experience.
- Translated site - Notion Everything allows visitors to choose whether they'd like to view the site in English, German, Spanish, Brazilian, or French. Providing different language options can help reduce friction by making it easier for everyone to understand the site’s content.
- Creator Name Redirects - Visitors can click creator names and they’ll be redirected to their websites or social accounts, although this only applies to creators who submitted a link detail. Now visitors can connect directly with creators more easily.
- “Toolbox” section - This feature doesn’t apply directly to creators selling on the platform. The toolbox provides visitors with a list of different Notion.so integrations and tools, and the links direct them to the original provider’s site. This feature is great for the community by helping provide extra value to visitors.
Notion Everything puts in an effort for visitors and even provides chat support, but unfortunately, this doesn’t make up for the crucial shopping aspect. Buyers still need to go to each product’s Gumroad page individually and purchase each product separately.
Gumroad is a long-standing online marketplace for a variety of products. Many Notion creators started their seller journeys with Gumroad because they allow digital product sales, but now Notion exclusive sites like Notion Utopia exist.
Features for Sellers
- Seller Dashboards - Getting more in-depth information about who’s visiting your store and buying your products can help you better plan and improve your marketing.
- Detailed Product Page - Gumroad offers sellers several options when uploading Notion products. Sellers can format the description and add links, images and video. You can also offer variations or different tiers of your products. They even allow you to offer subscriptions.
- Search Engine Optimization - To help your products rank on Google, you need to be clear about what you’re offering. Gumroad lets sellers customize product URLs, add metadata to images and use keyword tags for search optimization.
- Affiliate Program - As creators, most want to spend their time creating rather than trying to grow their social accounts and market their products. For those who’d rather like to focus on their passion, there’s an affiliate program that allows sellers to let others sell their products on a commission basis.
Gumroad allows visitors to search for products, such as Notion specific products, using their discover feature. To get a product to show up as a search result, creators first need a legitimate sale of one of their products. Afterwards, every sale that comes from Gumroad’s Discover costs creators an additional 10% commission fee on top of their existing fees.
Our marketplace aims to be the next Etsy or Gumroad but exclusively all things Notion.so. We as creators ourselves, built it to help other creators earn money and grow their brands. We also hope the website will help creators connect with one another, and those who need their expertise.
You’ve read about some of the features that make a marketplace great. Now let's dive into all the features the Notion Marketplace has to offer buyers and sellers.
Features for Buyers
- Buyer Accounts - With their own accounts, buyers can shop on Notion Utopia with ease. The products they want to buy now can be added to their cart and they can pay for it all when they’re ready to checkout. Products can also be added to a wishlist they can continuously add to overtime. All this information will be available every time they log in.
- Accept PayPal and Crypto Payments - Customers can shop with ease with secure payments. Currently, this is the only Notion marketplace that accepts cryptocurrency. Over time we aim to add more and more payment providers to meet every need.
- Customer Product Reviews - Happy customers can add reviews to the products they’ve purchased which help other buyers when they’re browsing. On top of this, we’re working on a loyalty program that rewards customers for actions such as buying again or leaving reviews.
- A Brand Identity - Notion Utopia is transparent with buyers and sellers with an About Us and Contact us page where visitors can learn all about the marketplace and get in touch if they have questions of any kind. Not to mention, how good the site is aesthetically.
- FAQs - A full FAQs section exclusively to address buyer questions, and custom FAQ sections on product pages to keep buyers informed every step of the way.
- Product List Views - Not only can buyers filter the products to quickly find exactly what they’re looking for, but they can adjust how many items they’d like to see in a row. No more difficulties with different screen resolutions. The whole site is perfectly optimized for mobile.
Features for Sellers
- Seller dashboards - Similar to Gumroad’s dashboards, the Notion Utopia seller dashboards give sellers an overview of the products in-store, and how much they’ve earned from each product.
- Extensive Product Pages - Product pages can be customized almost endlessly. They can include different sections to add in reviews, FAQs, comparison charts, and other information that could help buyers make a purchase. Sellers can add videos, multiple branded images, their Instagram feed, and even other custom fields.
- Search Engine Optimization - The entire marketplace site is constantly being optimized for search engines. Custom metadata and URLs all help products rank in search to get more sales for creators.
- Creator Collections - Currently, clicking on creator names directs customers to their collections where buyers can view all products in the Notion Utopia Marketplace by that creator. If a customer loves one of their products they can easily find the rest. Soon, we’ll also add additional creator information to the collection page including their picture and social links.
- Blog Submissions - Creators can improve their online presence and serve the community with blogs. Each article can help creators get more sales by adding their direct to checkout buttons throughout the blog. Blogs can include multiple images and videos. All of the blogs will be shared to Pinterest as Rich Pins, helping creators build their brand authority, and improve their ranking in search.
What does it cost to sell on these sites?
Both marketplaces and promotional platforms require some form of remuneration from sellers. Marketplaces often take a percentage from every sale, a set transaction fee, and in some cases the payment providers will also have an additional charge.
Promotional sites, such as Notionery and Notion Everything, work as affiliates. Sellers have to pay Gumroad’s fees and then the affiliate commission as well for every sale they make. Each of the sites has its own structure of affiliate commissions required to join the site.
Let’s compare the different costs and fees for the online marketplaces and sites we've looked at.
Now get selling
Now you’ve gotten a better look at what the different platforms have to offer, how they differ, and what it costs you to sell on them.
We hope learning a little more about the Notion Utopia marketplace's low fees and premium features has gotten you excited to create Notion goodies and start your seller journey with us.